History of Extension
1862 Morrill Act signed by President Abraham Lincoln
1863 Kansas State Agricultural College (KSAC) – chartered to have an Agriculture Department
1868 40 of the original 160 acres of campus were made into a plant nursery and used as a hands-on teaching and research laboratory
1868 Fruit orchard planted to 220 apple trees
1868 Farmers’ Institutes invented by KSAC to extend information to citizens (Extension)
1870 The first ever paper presented by a woman (Mrs. Emma Bowen) at a Farmers’ Institute
1874 Last Farmer’s Institute (for a while) was held
1876 Farmers’ Clubs were formed and started local Farmers’ Institutes
1882 KSAC restarts its own Farmers’ Institutes
1887 Hatch Act passed by Congress for support of agricultural experiment stations
1887 The Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station (Research) was established by the Kansas Legislature on March 4, 1887, two days after the enabling legislation was enacted by Congress.
1887 Legislature establishes the office of the Commissioner of Forestry
1888 Professor E.M. Shelton serves as first KAES Director
1888 First bulletin of the KAES is published
1888 First annual report of the Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station (KAES) issued
1888 First tree seedlings distributed
1897 Julius T. Willard was vice-director and director (1900) of the KAES and also head of the Dept. of Chemistry. He researched and published bulletins in the area that became soil science. In the 1940s, soil science moved to Agronomy.
1900 Professor J.T. Willard serves as second KAES Director
1901 First agricultural experiment station established - Fort Hays Branch Experiment Station.The station becomes the largest dryland agricultural research station in the world.
1902 Fort Hays Branch Experiment Station – experimental planting of Forest Tree Species
1903 Farmers’ Institute Legislation creating County Farmers’ Institute Association, which allowed for county funding of the Farmers’ Institutes
1905 First Extension employee was John H. Miller, Field Secretary and organizer of the Farmers’ Institutes
1905 Farmers’ Institute train makes 135 stops around the state, covering 1030 miles
1905 First mention of youth project clubs – Corn and Canning
1906 John H. Miller named Superintendent of the Farmers’ Institutes
1906 Charles W. Burkett serves as third KAES Director
1906 12 project club members (Boys Corn Club) visit KSAC
1907 Department of Farmers’ Institutes and College Extension created
1907 Garden City Branch Experiment Station created
1907/8 State Farmers’ Institute program – featured Home Economics in addition to Agriculture
1908 E.H. Webster serves at fourth KAES Director
1909 First Extension specialists (seven of them) hired
1909 Start of Home Economics Extension
1909 Frances L. Brown, appointed as the first Director of Home Economics in Extension
1909 Forestry transferred to KSAC, title changed to State Forester, appointed by KBOR
1909 Dodge City Branch Experiment Station created from a former forestry station
1910 Board of Regents authorized the Department of College Extension to provide instruction by correspondence in the various subjects relating to farm life
1910 Capper Girls Tomato Club organized
1911 First irrigation well developed with funding from the Garden City Industrial Club; initiates the first irrigation research studies in southwest Kansas.
1911 Tribune Branch Experiment Station created. Only 2.5% of Greeley County was under cultivation. Today in 2013, over 90% of Greeley County is under cultivation.
1911 John H. Miller made the first Director of College Extension
1911 Leavenworth Progressive Agricultural Club formed
(forerunner of Extension Office)
1911 Capper Boys Corn Club established
1912 Division of College Extension is formed by the Regents, recognizing the many years of Extension work conducted at KSAC, starting with the Farmers’ Institutes
1912 Home Economics Extension was one of four departments in the Division; six Extension Home Economists were on the faculty. Frances L. Brown, who earlier has been employed as a “lecturer in Domestic Science,” was appointed the first Kansas Director of Home Economics in Extension in 1909. The teaching of homemaking skills was done by the demonstration method. Education programs for boys and girls were a part of the specialists’ responsibilities, then as now.
1912-15 In ten counties, Agricultural Clubs or County Farm Bureaus were organized prior to the passage of the Kansas County Farm Bureau Law (1915), which provided for a county appropriation to assist with the County Farm Bureau and Extension program.
1912 P.H. Ross was employed as the first County Demonstration Agent - in LV County
1912 Capper Boys and Girls Poultry Contest held
1912 Capper Boys Baby Beef Project Contest held
1913 W.M. Jardine serves at fifth KAES Director
1914 Smith-Lever Act passes Congress, creating a national Cooperative Extension Service
1914 Kansas Cooperative Extension Service created at KSAC
1914 Colby Branch Experiment Station created
1914 Otis Hall appointed as first Boys and Girls State Leader
1914 The first Home Demonstration Unit was created when women from Leavenworth County requested help in food preservation from the national club leader. A mother-daughter canning club was formed in Glenwood, KS, now one of the oldest Extension units in the U.S. From 1915 to 1943, the clubs were sponsored by the Farm Bureau and were called Farm Bureau Units.
1914-28 Agricultural trains continued to be a very popular way to reach Extension audiences
1915 The name of the State Farmers’ Institute is changed to “Farm and Home Week”
1915 County Extension work received support through the County Farm Bureau Law passed by the Kansas legislature, authorizing county appropriations. Home Demonstration Units were organized.
1915 The Director’s Report cited almost 1500 women attending 48 five-day Extension Home Economics schools. Thus began Farm and Home Week.
1916-1920 First irrigation studies started at Colby Research Station. Modern, efficient pumping equipment had not yet been invented and the studies were quickly terminated.
1917 A small herd of Ayrshire cattle is transferred to the Garden City Experiment Station from the Dodge City Experiment Station, which is then closed down.
1917 The first improved wheat variety “Kanred” is released by K-State and was developed by H.F. Roberts, a Professor of Botany. Roberts planted 554 rows of wheat, each of them from one spike of the variety ‘Crimean’, in 1906. Selections were replanted in rows from 1907 to 1910 and in field plots from 1911 onward. Seed of the best line was distributed to 1,500 farmers for testing in 1914. The new variety was earlier in maturity, hardier, and more productive than “Crimean” or “Turkey."
1917 Technical wheat breeding began in Agronomy with the hiring of John Parker, the first crop breeder.
1918 F.D. Farrell serves as the sixth KAES Director
1918 For its regular work in Home Economics, the Division of Extension employed a State Director and 10 assistants.
1918 Mary Whiting McFarlane became Director of Home Economics Extension
1918 First mention of “4-H Club” used to describe Boys and Girls Club; 11 official projects listed
1919 Otis Hall authors the National 4-H Pledge
1919 F.E. Colburn first photographer appointed to the KAES
1919-1921 Thomas J. Talbert Supt. of Institutes and Extension Schools, Transferred to Ag Specialists Leader
1919 A Department of Home Demonstration Work was created in addition to the Department of Home Economics Extension
1919 First inspection of a crop variety field, Kanred wheat, by the Kansas Crop Improvement Association
1920 The number of county Farmers’ Institutes, running from 1 to 3 days, decreased rapidly
1920 Extension Communications begins
1920 Mabel Caldwell was employed as the first Extension “journalist” in Kansas
1921 First Extension Editor appointed
1921 Nina Belle Crigler became State Leader of Home Demonstration Work Department
1921 First Agriculture Fair was held on campus
1921 The monthly printed publication, Extension News, became the official publication
1922 National 4-H Congress established in Chicago, IL
1922 Age for 4-H members changed to 10-20 years
1923 Amy Kelly became State Leader of the Home Demonstration Work Department and Head of the Department of Home Economics Extension
1923 Fair Organizations and Fairs were starting to take the place of Farmers’ Institutes
1923 A film service was started with films from the Department of Agriculture and commercial organizations
1923 First year for Kansas 4-H Round-up at KSAC
1924 Radio Station KSAC starts broadcasting; early programs included “College of the Air” and a “Farm Hour” each day at noon which continued into the 1970s
1924 First Community 4-H club chartered – Lincoln County
1925 L.E. Call serves at the seventh KAES Director
1925 Duplication service/distribution of publications responsibility of the Extension Editor
1926 Maynard H. Coe appointed State 4-H leader
1926 Beginning of Music Appreciation activity and contest
1926 First 4-H Round-up picture taken
1927 J. Harold Johnson hired by Sedgwick County to become the first full-time 4-H agent in Kansas
1927 KSAC Collegiate 4-H Club organized on December 12 with 156 members
1927 4-H Uniform was adopted
1927 First National 4-H Conference was held in Washington, D.C.
1927 Lisle L. Longsdorf served as director of the KSAC radio station longer than anyone else. He was appointed in 1927 and remained responsible for it until 1953 when the department of radio and TV was established.
1927-1935 Louis C. Williams, Head, Dept. of Agricultural Specialists
1930 Wheat Festival Train – 58 stops; 106,150 in attendance
1930 4-H Secretary’s book prepared and printed
1931 Beef Cattle Festival Train – 34 stops; 109,135 in attendance
1931 Clovia 4-H House established at KSAC
1931 All delegates to 4-H Round-up wore uniforms
1932 4-H Livestock Auction reported
1933 18% of students enrolled at KSAC were 4-H members
1933 17 4-H Camps were held with 1,230 attending
1934 New 4-H Encampment Building was completed at the Kansas State Fair in Hutchinson
1934 No county 4-H camps were held due to the economy – one day picnics were substituted
1935 Position of Research Forester created at KSAC
1935-1937 Louis C. Williams, Asst. Dir., Div. of College Ext. & In Charge of Agricultural Specialists
1935 Soil Conservation Act authorized formation of the Soil Conservation Service (SCS). The KCES readily approved of the new organization, assigning Extension Specialists to assist in organizing county soil conservation districts. By 1950, all counties except Shawnee had a soil conservation district.
1936 Departments of Home Demonstration Work and Home Economics Extension were combined and named Home Economics Extension
1936 Extension Publicity and Radio combined into Extension Publicity and Information
1936 Livestock Auction held for 4-H at State Shows
1937 Georgiana Smurthwaite became State Home Demonstration Leader; title later changed to State Leader, Home Economics Extension; retired June 30, 1954.
1937 First USDA Forest Service Inventory – shows 1.2 million acres of KS forest resources
1937 Better Farm Homes Train – 37 stops; 67,192 in attendance (the last train program)
1937 Lisle L. Longsdorf, extension editor, reported the year’s schedule of talks on KSAC radio had been laid out in advance, 3500 talks by 370 different speakers.
1938 First KAES editor hired
1938 All 105 counties were represented at 4-H Round-up, for the first time
1939 The Neighborhood Leader was published by Extension Information during WWII
1940 “Cow No. 29” set the world record for lifetime (1925-1940) milk production from a grade dairy cow (150,339 lb. of milk). She was an Ayrshire cow born and raised on the Colby research station.
1940 All Kansas counties had a County 4-H Council
1940’s First beef cattle finishing trial conducted in western Kansas. This trial heralded the cattle feeding industry of western Kansas.
1941 Miriam Dexter conducted the daily KSAC “Farm Hour” radio program during WWII
1941-1951 5.1 million tree seedlings are produced at Hays for use in windbreak and farmstead plantings throughout central and western Kansas.
1943 Hays Buffalograss is released for use in revegetating cropland damaged by the drought of the 1930's. A chemical process is developed that increases germination from 7% to 85%.
1944 Farm Bureau Units became known as Home Demonstration Units to emphasize the relationship between the work of the County Home Demonstration Agents and the Extension Home Economics Program at KSC.
1945 J. Harold Johnson was appointed State 4-H Leader
1945 Statewide Committee on 4-H Camping appointed
1945 Almost half of the Kansas counties employed Home Demonstration Agents and there were almost 25,000 Home Demonstration Unit members.
1946 R.I. Throckmorton serves as the eighth KAES Director
1946 First KAES statistician hired
1946 Rock Springs 4-H Center started
1946 New annual 4-H project and permanent record sheets provided
1947 Wind Erosion Research Unit formed in conjunction with USDA ARS and K-State
1948 Eighty acre irrigation unit near Holcomb leased from the Garden City Co. until 2002
1948 4-H Project Pins used for the first time
1948 First International Farm Youth Exchange (IFYE) – Armin Samuelson, Shawnee County, traveled to Sweden
1948-1950 Paul W. Griffith, In Charge, Extension Agricultural Specialists
1949 Mound Valley Branch Agricultural Experiment Station created
1949 Artificial insemination project established
1950 High capacity irrigation well developed and intensive irrigation research started at Garden City Research Station
1950 30 Dairy cows were purchased to start Dairy Investigations at Mound Valley in SE KS
1950 Soil Investigational work and Farm Crop research began at the Mound Valley Station
1951 Kansas 4-H Journal started
1951 Turfgrass research starts when plots are established in the northwest area of campus
1952 A.D. Weber serves as the ninth KAES Director
1952 The Kansas 4-H Foundation was established to assist the Extension Service with the 4-H Club program
1952 First IFYE Conference held at Rock Springs
1952 Key Awards started by 4-H, sponsored by Cities Service
1952 Purple Award grouping started in judging of Kansas fair exhibits
1952 Up to 1952, KSAC radio was operated by part-time staff members and students under supervision of Lisle L. Longsdorf, extension editor
1952-1962 William G. Amstein, Head, Dept. of Agricultural Specialists & Specialists in Horticulture
1953 The Department of Radio and TV was established. Robert Hilgendorf was named head.
1953 Kenneth Thomas was named manager of KSAC radio and given a budget for full-time staff
1953 Master Farmers, Master Farm Homemakers Organization begins at K-State
1954 Extension Publicity and Information split into the Department of Extension Radio and Television and the Department of Extension Information
1954 Mae Baird becomes State Leader for Home Economics Extension
1954 National 4-H Alumni started
1954 4-H Wheat Shows started
1954 Horticultural Investigations of vegetables and trees began at the Mound Valley Station
1955 Glenn H. Beck serves as the tenth KAES Director
1956 Extension 4-H Advisory Committee began serious consideration of boys and girls clubs for urban and suburban areas
1956 An orchard and a vineyard were planted at the Mound Valley Station
1957 First irrigation studies started on with corn, wheat, grain sorghum, and potatoes by the Tribune Research Station. The work was conducted on farmer’s fields.
1957 Irrigation studies restarted at Colby Research Station in response to the drought of 1954-1956 and the development of turbine pumps in World War II.
1958 Extension moved into Umberger Hall; a building designed and built for Extension
1958 Jack Burke joined the KSAC radio staff in 1958 and served as acting manager for more than a year.
1958 Joint KAES/KCES publications Distribution Center created
1958 Roger E. Regnier appointed State 4-H Leader
1958 A Christmas tree project was started to determine the best varieties of pine to plant and how best to grow them at the Mound Valley Station
1959 Margaret Koenig served as Acting State Leader from January 15, 1959 to January 1, 1961 and again from January to July 1964 when Miss Baird returned to India. Miss Koenig continued as acting State Leader until a new leader came in 1965.
1959-1999 Sheep research conducted at Colby Research Station. Extensive studies on all aspects of sheep production were conducted and the results widely disseminated.
1960’s Research started on no-till crop production at the Garden City Research Station
1961 Motion picture production facilities and equipment were made available to produce feature-length films for group showings
1961 Extension Forester title changed to Kansas State Forester of State and Extension Forestry
1961 Membership age in 4-H lowered from 10 to 8 years of age
1961 Smurthwaite Scholarship House was built and named after Miss Georgianna Smurthwaite who was in Home Economic Extension for 30 years.
1961 Rock Ford Turfgrass Research Center founded on donated land
1961 “Agriculture Today” radio program begins
1961 The Colby off-campus regional Extension office was established
1961 Irrigation research unit leased near Tribune Research Station. The unit was permanently added to the station by purchase in 1981. A long-term study on nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization of irrigated corn was initiated and continues on the same plots to the present.
1962 C. Peairs Wilson serves as the eleventh KAES Director
1962 KAES/KCES merged into Division of University Communications
1962 Jack Burke was named Head of the Office of Extension Radio and TV
1962 K-State Pecan Experiment Field was established on 80 acres donated near Chetopa, KS
1963-1969 John M. Ferguson, Acting State Leader, Extension Ag. Specialists
1963 Wind Erosion Laboratory established on campus with USDA ARS
1964 County Extension programs had nearly replaced Farmers’ Institute programs
1964 Wearing of the 4-H Uniform was discontinued statewide
1964 The Tuttle Forestry Research Area was leased from the Army Corps of Engineers
1965 Glenn H. Beck becomes Vice President of Agriculture
1965 Floyd W. Smith serves at the twelfth KAES Director
1965 The Home Demonstration Units were renamed Extension Homemakers Units (EHU)
1965 Shirley Marsh White becomes the State Leader for Home Economics Extension
1966 Glenn M. Busset was named State 4-H Leader
1967 Kansas 4-H Movie, Happiness is 4-H, was made
1968 EFNEP Program began in four counties with 19 paraprofessionals working with over 2,000 families. Forty-two percent were minorities. Fifty-four percent were receiving food stamps, and 40 percent were participating in WIC (Women, Infants, and Children Supplemental Food Program).
1968 4-H TV Science Series attracted some 56,957 viewers
1968 Nichols Gymnasium was gutted by an arson fire, destroying the KSAC studios and offices. The studios had been on the third floor west of Nichols Gym from the time the station first went on the air in 1924 until that fateful Friday the thirteenth.
1969 Southwest Area Extension Office established in Garden City
1971 Merle Eyestone was appointed Executive Director of the 4-H Foundation
1971 Norma Redeker became Acting State Leader for Home Economics Extension
1972 Name change from Home Economics Extension to Quality of Living
1972 Betty Jean Brannan becomes Assistant Director of Cooperative Extension and head of Quality of Living
1971 Northwest Area Extension Office opened in Colby
1972 Southeast Area Extension Office opened in Chanute
1972 Northeast Area Extension Office opened in Manhattan
1972 South Central Area Extension Office opened in Hutchinson
1973 Five Area 4-H Specialists are hired
1973-1981 Wilber E Ringler, Asst. Director, Extension Ag Production
1974 Governor Robert Docking proclaimed April 22-26, 1975 to be Kansas Extension Homemaker Week
1975 KAES and KCES have their separate communications offices again - KAES Editorial Office separate from Extension Information
1975 First full-time turfgrass scientist is hired
1975 106 county agents reported they were appearing regularly on local radio stations and 30 agents were on TV stations
1976 John O. Dunbar named Director of the Cooperative Extension Service
1976 Gail Imig becomes Assistant Director of Cooperative Extension and head of Quality of Living
1977 Kansas begins participation in the Japanese LABO program
1978 4-H Round-up becomes Kansas State 4-H and Youth Conference
1978 In the late 70s, Jack Burke was manager of extension television and radio operations which included KSAC radio in Manhattan, the Kansas State University Radio Network, KSET-TV in Wichita, and a film production unit.
1980 John O. Dunbar named Dean of Agriculture, Director of KCES, and Director of KAES
1979 Quality of Living name changed back to Home Economics Extension
1979 Marjory Mortvedt becomes Assistant Director of Cooperative Extension and head of Home Economics Extension
1980 First Master Gardener programs started in Kansas
1980’s Genetic improvements in corn allowed studies on dryland corn production to restart at the Tribune Research Station.
1980’s Research on no-till crop production started at Tribune. Results show that the use of no-till management increases grain sorghum production by 100% and wheat production by 56%.
1981 Jim L. Ozbun named Associate Director of KAES and Associate Dean of Agriculture
1981 Fred D. Sobering named Associate Director of the KCES and Associate Dean of Agriculture
1981 KSU Ag Report was first published
1981-1987 Hyde Jacobs, Asst. Director, Extension Ag Programs
1982 First KAES/KCES graphic designer and art coordinator hired
1982 Kansas State 4-H and Youth Conference becomes 4-H Discovery Days
1982 Kansas 4-H Ambassador Program started
1983 Kurt C. Feltner becomes the Associate Director of KAES and Associate Dean of Ag
1983 Ag Media Days, created by Extension Information, with the KAES Editorial Office as cosponsor
1984 Emerald Circle Banquet established to announce State 4-H winners
1984 Radio KSAC Become Radio KKSU
1985 Walter Woods becomes the Dean of Ag, Director of the KAES, and Director of KCES
1985 Merger of Extension Home Economics with the College of Home Economics
1985 Ron Jones becomes the Assistant Director of the KSU Cooperative Extension Service and Associate Dean of College of Home Ecology
1986 Bill Riley appointed as Executive Director of the Kansas 4-H Foundation
1986 Extension Communications Department formed and Jack Burke is named head
1986 The first live interactive satellite program was originated and transmitted from the campus of K-State. The premier program was "Re-appraisal and Classification—Its Impact on Property Taxes," featuring Extension's Public Policy Specialist Barry Flinchbaugh.
1986 A desktop publishing system linking computers to a laser printer was installed
1986 4-H Shooting Sports Workshop started
1987 Marilyn Stryker Corbin becomes the Acting Assistant Director of Extension Home Economics and then became Assistant Director in 1988
1987 Robert G. Helgesen named Acting Associate Director of KCES and Assoc. Dean of Ag
1987-1990 Don Pretzer, Asst. Director, Extension Ag Programs
1987 Northwest Area Extension Office and the Colby Branch Experiment Station merged to form the Northwest Research-Extension Center.
1988 Stanley D. Farlin named Associate Director of KCES and Associate Dean of Ag
1989 George E. Ham becomes Associate Director of KAES and Associate Dean of Ag
1989 Installation of subsurface drip irrigation system at the NW Research-Extension Center – Colby; now the oldest continuously operated subsurface drip system for field crop research in the world.
1990 Home Economics Extension name changed to Extension Family and Consumer Sciences
1990 Marilyn Stryker Corbin becomes the Acting Associate Director of KCES
1990 J. Pat Murphy, Acting Asst. Director, Extension Ag Programs
1990 Southwest Area Extension Office and Garden City Branch Experiment Station merged to form the Southwest Research-Extension Center
1991 Richard D. Wootton becomes Associate Director of KCES and Associate Dean of Ag
1992 Marc A. Johnson becomes Interim Dean and Director of KAES and KCES
1992 Daryl D. Buchholz becomes Assistant Director, Extension Agriculture and Natural Resources
1992 KAES and KCES Communications departments merged along with Ag Journalism to become the Department of Communications
1994 Marc A. Johnson becomes permanent Dean, Director of KAES, and Director of KCES
1994 New era for 4-H Nationally
1994 Mary Gray – Associate Dean, College of Human Ecology and Assistant Director of CES
1994 Mike Bradshaw, Acting Assistant Director of CES for Family and Consumer Sciences
1995 4-H/Army Youth Development Project started
1995 Administration merged for Colby, Garden City, Hays, and Tribune research stations under the umbrella of the Western Kansas Agricultural Research Center - Hays.
1995 Gary W. Gerhard becomes Assistant Director, Department of 4-H Youth Development
1996 K-State Research and Extension (KSRE) created at Kansas State University
1997 State and Extension Forestry renamed Kansas Forest Service
1997 First K-State Research and Extension website launched
1997 Ron Madl becomes the director of the Wheat Research Center
1997 William Hargrove becomes the director of the Kansas Center for Agriculture and the Environment (KCARE)
2000 Paula Peters becomes Assistant Director, Extension Family and Consumer Sciences, K-State Research and Extension
2000 Five Extension/KCARE Watershed Specialist positions were created across the state
2001 Forrest G. Chumley becomes Associate Director of Research and Technology Transfer
2001 Curtis L. Kastner becomes Director of the Food Science Institute
2001 Master Food Volunteer program started
2002 KKSU Radio Station sold to Morris Communications (WIBW) in Topeka
2002 K-State Radio Network created to distribute radio programming through digital means
2002 Ron Madl becomes the Director of the Bioprocessing and Industrial Value-Added Program (BIVAP)
2002 Randall A. Higgins becomes Interim Associate Director of Extension
2002 The South Central Area Extension Office in Hutchinson was closed and those counties were merged into the four remaining Area Extension Offices located in Chanute, Colby, Garden City, and Manhattan.
2002 James L. Lindquist becomes Metro Area Director
2003 George E. Ham becomes Interim Dean and Director
2003 Daryl D. Buchholz becomes Interim Assistant Director, Department of 4-H Youth Development
2003 4-H/Air Force Military Partnerships Project started
2003 Children, Youth, and Families at Risk (CYFAR) and 4-H Military Partnerships Project
2003 Military 4-H Club Grant program launched with grants to states for establishing 4-H Clubs on military installations
2003 4th USDA Forest Service Inventory shows 2.3 million acres of Kansas Forest Resources
2003 Beef steers produced at Hays, with the aid of ultrasound technology developed at the Ag Research Center, win “Best of the Breeds” national carcass quality contest.
2004 Fred A. Cholick becomes the Dean and Director
2004 Daryl D. Buchholz becomes Associate Director of Extension and Applied Research
2004 Pat McNally becomes Assistant Director, Department of 4-H Youth Development
2004 J. Pat Murphy becomes Interim Assistant Director, Extension Agriculture and Natural Resources
2004 Gordon Hibbard appointed as President of the Kansas 4-H Foundation
2004 James L. Lindquist becomes Assistant Director, Extension Field Operations
2004 Operation: Military Kids started with 5 pilot states. By 2010, 50 states participated in the program. The program supports youth of National Guard and Reserve service members.
2005 Renovation and naming of 4-H Centennial Hall at the Kansas State Fairgrounds
2005 National 4-H Mission Mandates (4-H Science, 4-H Healthy Living and Citizenship) named
2005 Food Safety Forum organized by the Food Science Institute
2005 The Tuttle Forestry Research Area lease was renegotiated and runs through 2030
2005-2006 Kansas 4-H Celebrates its 100th Anniversary
2008 J. Ernest Minton becomes interim Associate Director of Research & Technology Transfer
2008 4-H/Navy Youth Development Projects
2009 Jackman Demonstration Forest established in Butler County – first Kansas state forest
2009 J. Ernest Minton becomes Associate Director of Research and Technology Transfer
2009 Steven M. Graham serves as the interim director of the Kansas Center for Agriculture and the Environment (KCARE)
2009 KSRE conducts training for the 1st Infantry Division Headquarters before it deploys to SE region of Iraq, near Basra
2009 KSRE conducts training for Kansas National Guard Agribusiness Development Teams (ADT) #1 and #2 before they deploy to Laghman Province, Afghanistan
2010 Gary M. Pierzynski becomes Interim Dean and Director
2010 Daniel L. Devlin becomes the director of the Kansas Center for Agriculture and the Environment (KCARE)
2010 Lisa Lauxman (Lyon County 4-H alum) named Director, 4-H National Headquarters, NIFA/USDA
2010 KSRE conducts training for Kansas National Guard Agribusiness Development Team (ADT) #3 before it deploys to Laghman Province, Afghanistan
2011 Daryl Buchholz becomes Interim Assistant Director, Dept. of 4-H Youth Development
2011 Barbara Stone becomes Assistant Director, Department of 4-H Youth Development
2011 Gregg Hadley becomes Assistant Director of Extension for Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Community Development
2011 KSRE conducts training for Kansas National Guard Agribusiness Development Team (ADT) #4 before it deploys to Laghman Province, Afghanistan
2012 125 Years of the Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station (1887-2012)
2012 March 10th – 125 Years of the Kansas Forest Service
2012 KSRE conducts training for the 1st Infantry Division Headquarters and the 4th Brigade at Ft. Riley before they deploy to RC East in Afghanistan
2012 Long-term research at Tribune, since 1980, determines the use of no-till crop management increases grain sorghum production by 100% and wheat production by 56%.
2012 Agricultural Research Center-Hays finishes a new greenhouse. The research projects that will use the new greenhouse include wheat breeding, plant pathology, sorghum breeding, and entomology.
2012 August 1 - John Floros becomes the Dean and Director
2013 Agricultural Research Center-Hays hosts its 99th annual Beef Cattle Research Roundup
K-State Research and Extension Publications and Special Links:
We have online historical AES publications, and a few Extension publications, including the history of the Kansas Cooperative Extension Service, 1914-1989.
Here is a link to the Cooperative Extension Historical publication that was done for the 75 year anniversary:
A link that talks about the trains that went out, as well as photos of early car travel:
This information was compiled by:
Steven M. Graham
Assistant to the Dean and Director
College of Agriculture
K-State Research and Extension
If you see changes/edits which need to be made or have questions, please contact Steven Graham.