The Southwest Research-Extension Center, located in Garden City, Kansas, is a unit of K-State Research and Extension.
The programs and services of the Southwest Research-Extension Center are focused on counties in the southwest portion of Kansas. These include: Barber, Clark, Comanche, Edwards, Finney, Ford, Grant, Gray, Greeley,
Hamilton, Haskell, Hodgeman, Kearny, Kiowa, Meade, Morton, Pawnee,
Pratt, Scott, Seward, Stafford, Stanton, Stevens, and Wichita.
There are 12 research and extension faculty located at Garden City. Faculty expertise is complemented by 23 full-time support staff including clerical, maintenance, and crop technician classifications. Student workers are hired for the summer field season. To learn more, visit our faculty and staff page.
Facilities / Land Resources
The headquarters at Garden City includes 27 buildings. There are eight additional buildings at Tribune. Land resources are used for field crops research and production of foundation seed wheat or grain, hay, and silage.
|<1> B-R-W=Buildings, Roads, Waterways|
Funding comes from a variety of sources including state appropriations (salaries and wages, operating, supplemental allocations for equipment and maintenance), crop sales (fees), grants, and gifts.
The Garden City Branch of the Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station was established in 1907 on 320 acres 5 miles northeast of Garden City. The Tribune Branch was established in 1911. These two branch stations were combined into the Southwest Branch Agricultural Experiment Station in 1986. In 1988, the station was given its current name: Southwest Research-Extension Center.